History

2012
2011
2010
2008
2006
2005
2003
2002
1996
1995
1991
1989
1986
1983
1978
1976
1971
1968
1967
1954
1943
1935
1922
1908
1893

2012

Seychelles successfully connects to the SEAS Fibre Optic Cable

In 2012, Seychelles connected to the rest of the world through a high speed Fibre Optic sub sea cable, linking Seychelles and Dar Es Salaam. Cable & Wireless Seychelles is the largest Telecom investor in this technology that is already revolutionizing communications on the islands.

2011

Cable & Wireless Seychelles (CWS) successfully completed the roll out of its new state-of-the-art 3G+ mobile network

As part of its program to modernize and digitalize its entire core communications network, Cable & Wireless Seychelles (CWS) successfully completed the roll out of its new state-of-the-art 3G+ mobile network across Mahe, Praslin and La Digue. Customers now get the most out of their BlackBerry®, Smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc. on the back of the best mobile network, at the fastest speeds.

2010

Seychelles goes Isurf with Cable & Wireless

Isurf, the latest and fastest Prepaid Wireless Internet service in the Seychelles, is introduced. The service which allows wireless access to the internet by means of any wireless-enabled devices such as laptops, mobiles, blackberry, PDA etc… was officially launched in a ceremony at the Berjaya Beau Vallon Beach Resort on 17th February 2010

2008

BlackBerry® smartphones

On the 1st of August 2008, Cable & Wireless unveiled the world's leading wireless enterprise solution, BlackBerry®, giving mobile professionals access to a suite of business applications including email, corporate data, mobile phone, instant messaging, web browser, calendar, contacts and more.

2006

Company Branding at the Bus Station

In April 2006, Cable & Wireless became the first mobile operator to introduce a state-of-the-art network that offered Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) and Mobile Internet.

2005

CWS foundation

In line with its long-term commitment towards supporting the local communities and being responsive to their needs, the company launched the Cable & Wireless Seychelles Foundation in March 2005.
In December of the same year Cable & Wireless acquired local leading Internet Service Provider ATLAS in its aim to deliver a full range of services to Seychellois and visitors to the islands.

2003

CWS goes online

Cable e-Bill & Cable e-Directory online services were introduced giving customers access to their billing informations and directory listings.

2002

The Palm Tree Base Station on Praslin

Short Message Service (SMS) was launched, again, revolutionizing the way people communicated within Seychelles and to the outside world.

1996

CWS employees making good use of CIS

Cable & Wireless introduced a highly intelligent Customer Information System (CIS). This revolutionized our ways of working, improving functionality, reliability and communications within the company.

1995

Mobile Service and new switch equipments

A GSM network, which also has fax and data facilities, was introduced for the very first time in Seychelles. This was the dawn of the mobile era.

1991

DOMSAT Earth Station and new C&W Building

During 1990 a major contract was signed with NEC of Japan and on 28th June 1991 the DOMSAT system was inaugurated, bringing the Island of Coetivy and the Island of Desroches into the national network via satellite, thereby superceding the old and "crackly" HF radio links. The outer islands had joined the space age!

1989

Public Telephone service and phonecard

As telecommunications technology improved the phone card service became an innovation which grew worldwide. It was introduced in 1989, beginning with 9 public telephone card booths on Mahe. As the service became popular with both residents and visitors alike, it was introduced on Praslin, La Digue and later Desroches, Coetivy and Farqhuar.

1986

Eastern Telegraph Company's Office in Victoria, 1904, still stands more than 100 years later

The need to transmit documents rapidly over great distances led to the introduction of a telefax service in 1985. This revolutionised the way Seychelles and the rest of the world conducted business.

1983

A telephone Exchange

Between 1983 and 1986 the telephone system was digitalised when an ultra modern Swedish AXE 10 Digital International and National Exchange system was installed in Victoria and this covered most of the country. The installation of the new telephone switch made it possible to introduce International Direct Dialling from Seychelles to 75 countries for the first time and since then every year other countries have been added. IDD is now available to over 230 countries.

1978

Telex SwitchBoard and rear CW compound in the 70s

An automatic customer dialled telex service was initiated and provided an essential service particularly for the Business and Government sectors.

1976

Bon Espoir Station

Between 1972 and 1974 larger automatic telephone exchanges were installed on the main islands of Mahe, Praslin and La Digue. Praslin and La Digue were linked to Mahe by UHF analogue radios. On the 1st July 1976, a standard B Satellite Earth Station was inaugurated at Bon Espoir. This greatly improved the quality and efficiency of international telecommunications services, mainly Telephone and Telex.

1971

Inside the Public Counter in the 70s

Having successfully established HF radio links with the outside world via Nairobi and Bahrain, the last submarine telegraph cable was abandoned on 22nd May 1971 after 78 years of service.
The company was contracted to engineer and supply the first Air Traffic Control facilities for the new International Airport which was to be inaugurated in 1971. More powerful HF transmitters were required to provide such service and this led to the opening of a receiving station at Bon Espoir and a transmiting station at St. Louis Hill in 1971, both higher altitude locations.

1968

A telegraph circuit

The old Aden telegraph cable laid in 1922 was abandoned on the 31st October 1968, after 46 years of service.

1967

St Louis HF transmitting station

In the late 1960s HF radio links were gradually replacing the submarine telegraph cables as a communication medium around the world. In 1967 the first radio links by High Frequency (HF) Radio via Nairobi were established. This was the first international telephone link and it was an operator assisted manual service. In August 1969 a manual Public Telex service commenced at the Victoria Office to further enhance the services being provided.

1954

The old telephone switch

On the 1st July 1953, an agreement was reached between the Seychelles Government and Cable and Wireless Ltd. to operate a National Telephone System which was inaugurated in 1954, initially for 150 lines. This was increased to 250 lines the following year. Seychelles Telephone was registered as a subsidiary of Cable and Wireless Ltd.

1943

Seychelles Radio

Cable & Wireless was responsible for the first broadcast in the Seychelles on 14th June 1943 (United Nations day), when Governor W.M. Logan Esq addressed a parade on Gordon Square through the medium of the Eastern Telegraph's wartime "Colset" TFS12 transmitter. This was so successful that a demand for a regular radio service emerged. Regular broadcasts commenced every Sunday evening from June 1945, and included pre-recorded music and news for one hour.

1935

The 1935 Coast Station

Cable & Wireless took over from the Government the running of the Ship-to-Shore wireless system in the Seychelles and was granted a license to operate other radio systems.

1922

The cable ship Colonia

The islands were further linked to the Eastern Telegraph Company's international telegraph network in 1922 when another cable was laid from Aden to Colombo, Ceylon, via the Seychelles. This cable provided an important link from East Africa to Singapore and the Far East.The cable was laid by the cable ships CS Stephan and CS Colonia.

1908

A staff Fancydress party

By 1902 the Seychelles telegraph station had become an important Indian Ocean cable relay station and in 1908 the first group of Seychellois cable operators were employed.
The ealy years of the 20th century saw the emergence of radio and in 1915 a longe-range radio station was built for the British Admiralty on the island.

1893

The cable landing and the Cable Ship Scotia

On the 29th March 1893, the Eastern and South African Telegraph Company (our ancestory company) was granted a contract to establish a telegraph cable linking Zanzibar with Seychelles thence Mauritius capable of transmitting 15 words a minute. A cable ship named "Scotia" laid this and the work was completed on 11th November 1893. It was then that Seychelles became part of the world telecommunications network.