Data Roaming can be very expensive so we have included some suggestions that may help you to better manage your Data Roaming usage whilst abroad.
Before you go
- Download city or area maps before you leave home
- Turn off automatic updates – using your settings menu, adjust each App for manual update
- On your BlackBerry, you have the options to stop emails being delivered to your device. Simply go to your inbox and click on your BlackBerry Menu key and select Options from the drop down menu. Select Email Preferences and un-tick the Send Email to Handheld option. No emails will be sent to your BlackBerry until this option is re-enabled. However, all other data services can still be used.
- You can also turn off your Data Services on your BlackBerry device while roaming by going to Option > Networks and Connection > Mobile Network and ensure Data Service While Roaming is OFF. In this instance, only voice calls and SMS will be accessible while roaming.
- On Android devices, go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks. Switch Data to OFF.
- On iPhone, go to Settings > General > Network. Switch Cellular Data to OFF.
When you are abroad
- Download headers only on your email
- Listening to the radio or watching videos uses a lot of data – use a local WiFi service to do this
- Close down your apps when you're not using them
- iPhone: Hit the ‘home’ button twice and the apps will pop up at the bottom with red circle to close
- Android: ‘Settings’, ‘Applications’, ‘Running Services’ - close each application individually
- Make use of FREE WiFi in places such as hotels, cafes, restaurants etc. whenever you can.
You have the power to control your usage overseas by switching your data option to ON or OFF at your convenience.